Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Jesus on the way...

How important is it that I arrive on time? I know, if I have an appointment or meeting that I need to respect the other parties involved and get there on time, but what about when we leave on vacations? Why am I still uptight about schedules then? It's as if vacation doesn't start until we get there. The packing, the driving, the stopping for potty breaks don't count as vacation.

Unfortunately this kind of thinking also removes my ability to rest on a daily basis. I get up in the morning, gotta get to the gym, gotta get to the office, gotta get that next marketing plan done, or in place, gotta make phone calls, gotta... The end of the day comes and I have been caught in the whirlwind of activity with no focus or purpose and without my awareness of Jesus. It's like driving on the interstate looking for my destination and unable to enjoy the journey. Amazing sunrises, mountains, rivers, forests and quirky people, even Jesus Himself might be seen all around on the journey, but I've missed it.

If Jesus is found on the back roads, it is because He is less concerned with my timely arrival than He is with enjoying the journey with me. He enjoys the scenic route. He wants to amaze and inspire in the quiet little sleepy towns found there. He is not a program to be implemented but a person to relate with. I'm finding He is far less concerned with my “doing” than He is with my “being”. I've found He is far less concerned with my “arrival” than with my “journey”.

So, I rest easy in the imperfection of the now. Yet I know that He is with me and that is enough.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes. You are exactly right. Speed is an inevitable effect of technology. It drives us. Psalm 46:10 helps to recalibrate our pace. I especially like it in THE MESSAGE:

“Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything.”

west70 said...

Thank you Ed. I was heavily impacted by what I read of "In Praise of Slowness" last year. Also, another mentor of mine, Alan Fadling is currently working on a book about slowing the pace of life.